Planning a kids room
[inline:1]Planning a kid’s room is not a child’s play. It is not an easy job. It’s a quite complex process where an adult has to incorporate all the safety features and blend them with childlike fantasy. The difference between child and an adult is that kid's likings change more rapidly. Thus they need a flexible environment.
In this article, I would give you a few suggestions for decorating the kid’s room. I hope that they be of some help to you.
A kids’ room decor needs to be less expensive and easily changeable since their choice is ever changing. What they like today, they may not it tomorrow. Therefore, care has to be taken for every minutest detail.
Kids need separate areas for sleeping, playing and studying. They need more elbow space compared to adults. Similarly, younger kids need more floor space to spread out while playing. Thus a typical room needs a bed, study table and storage. These three things are fairly stable. Thus it is wise to invest in these stable furniture pieces. But for the décor of the room you can be thrifty. Do not spend too much on the décor because you never know that the child want another décor after a few years or even months.
Here are some ideas for low cost décor:
1. Preschoolers and toddlers love primary colors. These bright colors and complex patterns engage them for a longer time. The most inexpensive way to decorate their room is using paint. However, their tastes change too fast so it is not a good idea to paint the walls or furniture in primary colors. Instead, use neutral colours.
2. You can make large murals on poster boards with complex patterns and colors and hang them. This will add cheerfulness in the room. If you are not comfortable with painting it on your own you can just stick pieces of colored paper and some pictures form the magazines or stickers. These murals are not costly. They can be changed easily. You can make three or four of them and change them every week or fortnight thus giving your child the change of environment.
3. You can also hang posters discussing some science phenomena or some theme depending on the age of the kid.
4. Addition of a colourful area rug is another way of adding the colour to the room. These rugs come in all sizes. Pick one most suitable to your kid’s need. Create a cozy corner with rug and lots of pillows. The kids love to snuggle down for reading or quite games there. You can also place a bookshelf next to it to define the purpose of the place. Kids of all age love something like this.
5. Play-mat is another alternative for rugs. They can be made at home from a twin bed-sheet. You can make reversible play-mat by painting different designs on both the sides. Kids themselves can make these. This is very important specially if siblings share the room. Each one can have a corner for them and they can choose their colours and theme.
6. Decorative shelving is another way of adding functionality and the charm to kid’s room. Buy simple, plain and inexpensive shelves or make them out of plywood. Paint them in desired colour and decorate them with designs, motifs or stickers. They are great for displaying books and soft toys. Add few colourful knobs and all the things like bags belts, caps can go there.
7. For a temporary storage get some black or white metal carts that can be stored away when not in use.
8. Storage in kid’s room should be accessible to them. If you have less floor space vertical storage becomes necessary. Then you can store all less frequently used items on top.
9. Inflatable furniture is a quick and inexpensive way to fulfill changing needs for furniture. It comes in variety of colours and designs and is appreciated by kids of all ages. It is also easy to store away when not in use or when more floor space is needed.
10. For preschoolers and toddlers, hang a large black board or white board on the wall at their level. This satisfies their need to write on the wall without actually doing so.
Ideas for decorating kid’s rooms are plenty. All you have to remember is that it needs to be less expensive and flexible. I hope these tips will be of help to you. So get up and get going and make your child’s room a beautiful place for him to enjoy.